7/17/08

38 week update, a few hours early

So, went to my doctor this morning for my 38 week update. I'm measuring 35 on 38, which I had gained 1 from last week, which was good, even though still measuring small, my doctor wasn’t concerned.

I had lost a pound since last week (WHAT?!). I figure this is due to me going first thing in the morning today instead of the afternoon. And I had a work baby shower yesterday and ate SO much food so I thought for sure I would have gained weight. Plus, I know you gain less weight at the end of pregnancy, since I haven’t really gained tons, maybe that means I lose weight. HA HA

The baby's head was VERY VERY low (which is probably why the last couple days I have felt like I’m waddling), so she had to best guess how far I was dilated (2) since she had to try and feel around his head. She didn’t want to kill me she said in feeing around his head. She said once contractions start coming, his head is just right there, pretty far down in the birth canal, and the baby’s head pressure is the best way to get you to dilate. That was great news. I did ask her if he has a big/little head, but she couldn’t tell, she said with a smile. I told her we would try and tell Superbaby to move just a bit before next week so she can tell how far I'm dilated easier.

Other than that, she is going out of town this weekend for a triathlon, so hopefully I won't go into labor until Sunday morning when she gets back. I told her I had a bad dream about her not being there when I went into labor (see bad dream post earlier this week).

She also told me what to do to try and turn the baby's head if he is face up, the hard way. BOth my sister and my doctor had babies born posterier and my doctor said that back labor (when the baby is posterior) is HARD...plus with the small pubic bone area I have, face down (anterior) is best. So, I'm going to work hard on her suggestions this week.

She also said as far as being induced (which hopefully I won’t have to do and don't really want to do and many people have asked me about it) she normally waits a week until after the due date, since inducements are very hard to get scheduled at the new hospital I’m going to. I really just hope that he comes on his own in the next couple of weeks, preferably, after this weekend, so my doctor can be there.

Other than that, the next doctor visit is on July 22nd!

And thanks for all the well wishes for our 3rd anniversary. This one we did low key…number 1, since I still get mostly sick after I eat, we went to IHOP where I had a couple of pancakes for dinner so I wouldn’t get sick. Then Ryan and I went and did one of our favorite activities…. Reading little kids books outloud at Barnes and Noble. This is the first time we have really done it with Superbaby, but he must have liked it, because he was moving up a storm in that tummy of mine!

5 comments:

kari said...

I am glad you gave that baby a thrill... that was too much but too funny too.

Jacob said...

I still want to see a final belly picture! You must take one before Superbaby flies on out into this world! (not just for me...it will bw fun for you and your family to look back on!) We also read Sawyer bedtime stories before he was born. Interestingly, even at his young age he loves to be read to - I think it's because the book/rhymes are familiar to him - same with the songs we sing/play for him! Good luck with everything!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you guys. Please keep us posted. I love that you read out loud in Barnes & Noble. That is just awesome.

An Ordinary Mom said...

You are almost there ... I hope your labor and delivery go well!

Jill Lewis said...

OH, you are so close!! I love all of your updates! Hey, check out my blog-there's a picture of you on it!!
Jill