10/10/23

Saturday adventure to see fall color, hiking Gloria Falls

It seems every year I try to plan a fall hike "to see the leaves and color", it snows, it gets rainy on the Saturday I plan to go, or the leaves have already fallen off due to a super bad storm (2022 I'm looking at you). So I was SO excited when it seemed Saturday, October 7, 2023, would be the day.  And it worked out GREAT!
Gloria Falls has been on my list forever to hike. Especially in fall. There were the most yellow leaves, but the canyon driving up was gorgeous with reds.
Near the beginning of the trail.

Look at that mountain side across the way!



Someone ahead of us hiking said they were on the trail a week ago and not one leaf had fallen, so a LOT had come down in a week.

It was so pretty and not too many people on the trail, especially on the way up.
Crossing the big bridge.
Finding the pink ribbons was fun.
Check out that waterfall! I can't imagine what this is like in the spring runoff. It was huge even by the October standard for sure. Biggest waterfall we have hiked to so far.

My crazy kids (minus Adeline who I wouldn't let due to not great shoes) climbed up the face of that. I was a little scared because Collin fell a bit, but phew, just didn't move after.


Yeah for a whole family picture!

Coming down was a little more tricky.
Adeline and her sack of leaves.
Proof they climbed up most of the waterfall.





Walking back down. Such pretty views!

Proof I was there!
Getting back to the car.
Look at that pretty mountainside!
Making apple cider floats for a treat.
And sliced sheet pan caramel apples.
 

No comments: