5/8/12

Thomas Nelson Review, The Encounter



I was pleasantly surprised in reading The Encounter. I found it touching that Jonathan, the main character, is able to eventually understand and forgive his mother for having left him behind when he was four years old. I especially liked the ending of this book in that the author mentioned he wrote this book based on two true experiences that he had had in his own life. I always appreciate books that are based on a true story and not just complete fiction.

As far as the storyline goes, I had somewhat of a hard time believing that Ada (mother) would have stayed in the exact same town as when she had been pregnant. I also found it interesting that once Jonathan tracked down “Mercy” who was Ada in disguise, that she was able to hide herself so completely.

I appreciated the author’s ability to help the reader identify both with Ada’s sadness and regret, as wells as Jonathan’s anger and misunderstanding. It made me think of my own life and how we never know why people walk the roads they do. Nor should we judge anyone for making any decision that he/she feels best at that time of life.

Overall, I enjoyed this book more than I expected to. Short read.

No comments: