6/27/08

35 week update

I had my 35 week check up this yesterday. My doctor started out by saying “this baby sure is measuring small today”…. And she told me I was measuring at 32 when I should be at 35. She said my appointment two weeks ago, I was measuring 31.5. HELLO?! HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? This I have a hard time believing, because I have REALLY finally felt like I have started getting so much bigger (perception is everything, right?), so in 2 weeks, I had only gained 1 pound and .5 “whatever measurement” they use…. So, she said not to worry too much, but that they would do an ultrasound just to see how he was looking….I did feel better thinking that at least I’m measuring small if everyone thinks I look small.

So, in the meantime waiting for the ultrasound, I called Ryan and told him the scoop and we said a little prayer via phone while I waited for the ultrasound technician. I do have to say it was very cool to have a second ultrasound when Superbaby was MUCH bigger…. Even though I still had a hard time identifying some of his parts. First off, the tech reassured us Superbaby is a boy (YEAH!). His mouth was opening and closing in parts of the ultrasound which was very cute, and the technician got a really cute picture of one of his ears, which we have confirmed looks like Ryan’s, so we know his first body part (or at least one ear), looks like his daddy!

The tech said that his head was measuring well, fluids were good, just his tummy was small (even though to me his tummy looked huge!). She said sometimes that happens first off the tummy stops growing if they aren’t getting enough nutrients or the placenta stops functioning like it should, etc…. so she took the results back to my doctor and my doctor said that I was okay for another 2 weeks until my next appointment, and that even though his tummy is small, it’s not in the danger, danger zone, just super small danger zone, so that’s okay. He was in the 35th percentile supposedly of whatever he is supposed to be and weighed around 4.5-5 pounds….

So, now the next 2 weeks, I’m praying hard for Superbaby’s tummy to get fat, and that I will eat better so I can measure better…. Anyways, just wanted to give you an update. I did ask my doctor if maybe they just got my due date wrong, and she said no, we aren’t changing your due date. In 2 weeks you will be 37 weeks, full term, so then he may be able to live better outside of the womb than inside. We’ll just have to see how you look in 2 weeks. I did have my first somewhat panic attack afterwards of “OH MY GOSH I COULD BE A MOM IN A LITTLE OVER 2 WEEKS I AM SO NOT READY I HAVE SO MUCH TO DO” but that lasted only a few minutes. I guess I just always have thought, he won’t come until August 1st or after, I never even dreamed he could be coming in July….but I guess I don’t really have a choice in the matter, so I’ll keep you posted at my next visit. Maybe he will be really good and get “fat” and then we can wait a couple more weeks :)

I meant to attach some pictures, but didn’t have time to scan them in…and wanted to get this post written before the weekend.

5 comments:

John and Laura said...

Good luck... I hope everything goes well in two weeks. Keep us posted!

grapeape said...

grow, Superbaby, grow!! :) take care, and eat heartily! been thinkin' about ya...

Shawnee said...

You and Superbaby are in my prayers. Good luck with everything. Have you decided on a name yet? You could just name him Superbaby and call him "Soop" for short. We did in high school with a guy who had the last name Campbell. :)

Jacob said...

Don't worry too much. Sometimes you measure smaller because the baby has "dropped". But we will be thinking of you - grow little guy, grow!

Kristalyn said...

So will they induce you at 37 weeks if his tummy is still little? I know whatever happens it will be for the best...after a day or so of being a mom...it will seem like you always have been. One of the biggest shocks for me was that after I had been up for more than 24 hours and gone through the physically exhausting miracle of labor and birth...I felt like I wanted to sleep and recover. But..the baby needs to eat at least every 3 hours...and so you don't get to rest very much, just go straight into sleep deprivation...but you get really used to it and it is all defnitely worth it. I can't wait to hear the news about superbaby!