10/23/07

Call me Betty Crocker

So, last night was my first attempt at becoming Betty. We have two HUGE apple trees in our backyard, and the one apple tree we missed out on doing anything with because the apples got too old before we realized it. Our other tree, though we have given TONS away and eaten a lot, still had a PLETHORA (I mean, like at least hundreds) of YUMMY apples on it.

Needless to say, when I create my own world, there will be a way to preserve apples just to eat raw, like you do from the tree, but until then, I felt horrible letting all the apples go to waste. And these are DANG GOOD apples! Last week a dear friend (who had taken a plethora of apples from our tree and made lots of yummy things) offered to help me make homemade applesauce... HELLO! YES!

What I thought would be a simple project, which my friend did as well, turned out to be an almost 8 hour project, beginning at 6pm and ending with my dropping into bed at 145 am. But, (I wish I had a camera to take pictures of the whole process, but alas, still no new camera bought yet, this picture is one that I tried to find that looked closest to the applesauce I made), 15 quarts of applesauce later, and a tired body and eyes day after, I have become Betty Crocker.

By the way, the applesauce is chunky and tastes HEAVENLY! Plus, eight hours is a long time to play catch up with a dear friend. The only loss was a small stab wound in my left hand from peeling the apples. You would think we would have made a dent in it, but alas, no. We still have TONS! Apples, anyone?

4 comments:

John and Laura said...

That is QUITE the Betty Crocker thing to do! My family used to make applesauce growing up and it was huge ordeal, with the whole family working all day long on it. So I'm very impressed. I'd take some apples... If I lived closer than a full day's drive away!

Kristalyn said...

Yummmm!!! That applesauce sounds delicious...what a good thing to have in your food storage! I can't wait for you to get a new camera so you can post pictures of your adventures. :)

AO said...

I can't wait to get a new camera either...hopefully in the next week!

Beth said...

Look at you - that's amazing! Applesauce is one heck of a project. I've never tried it myself, but I remember my mom doing it. Way to go wonderwoman!