8/1/11

Thomas Nelson Review-Finding Purpose Beyond our Pain

It took me a little while to get into this book, but overall I very much enjoyed it. The book starts with the premise of pain not being an enemy, but a help in our growth. I appreciated the specific "pains" divided into the chapters of injustice, rejection, loneliness, loss, discipline, failure and death. My favorite part/chapter of the book was a personal training plan, chapter 20. I am a runner (though not very fast) and I appreciated how our faith can become like a training run. I liked the crowd of witnesses idea and carrying only the bare essentials.
The second half of the book I enjoyed more than the first, although the last couple of chapters were a bit too much on the "Jesus saves" blast for me. I do agree that in our lives pain can be a champion for our growth if we allow it to be. I also agree that when we turn our lives over to Christ, then we can overcome any challenge and receive help for our challenges. I especially enjoyed the specific stories and experiences the authors included in the book. These experiences made the "meat" of the book more real for me to believe.
Overall, I thought this was a good book and would recommend it to others.

No comments: